The Quaker Gardens consist of the Meeting House Garden, a Quiet Garden, and a Children's Playground, There is a neighbouring fenced basketball court. All are open for public enjoyment but the space is small and dogs are not permitted.
Site of the 'Quaker Burying Ground'
Quaker Gardens occupy part of the land which Quakers originally purchased in 1661 and extended over succeeding years for all our London burials and was in use untill 1855. Some 12,000 Quakers were buried here including the founder of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), George Fox (1624-1691). It never had gravestones ("as the practice is of no service to the deceased") but there is one general memorial in the Quiet Garden and some other historic memorials are now mounted on the west wall of the Meeting House Garden.
Friends of Quaker Gardens
A small voluntary group exists to support the gardens as wild life friendly, woodland edge, low maintenance space.
There are occasional activities and events that have included beastie hunts for children, gardening talks and community gardening work. Informal 'gardening Sundays' are often arranged on the first Sunday of the month.
The gardens are maintained for us, under a long-term agreement with Islington Council, by Islington Greenspace